Friday, February 5, 2010

Friday, The End of a Virtual No Spend Week

Hi,

Today marks the end of a reasonably successful No Spend Week! I survived my husband's birthday and have only spent $1.20 on a caramello bear (I'm a self-confessed chocoholic) and last night my husband cooked dinner and asked me to bring a bottle of wine home, $10.99 (and it was lovely). As I work shift, my Friday night can happen on any night of the week, so for me, it was last night! I must say, am feeling just a little bit slow today. Back to work tomorrow for 2 day and 3 night shifts. It'll be tiring, but also ensures no SPENDING!!!!

I feel enriched and love the fact that the same money has been in my possession for 1 whole week. I just don't feel like I miss out on anything. My mission is to see how few products I need to buy each week and can I replace things with home made versions.

We have now stopped buying shampoo and conditioner. This has been replaced with a cake of vegetable oil based soap (has to be vegetable oil based) and a rinse made on water, white vinegar and lavender oil. Our hair is fabulous, in fact it's better than when we were using shampoo. The rinse cost almost nothing to make and the soap costs about $1.50 and last a very long time. I also make my washing liquid, very simple and cost very little also, about $1.00 for 7litres. I have home made soap drying ready for use when the bought one runs out. I make all of our bakery products and find that I am slowly replacing the amount of things I need to write on the shopping list. I am also replacing my skin care as I run out. The home made soap with brown sugar, rolled oats and cinnamon is great for my face, on a daily basis. I also make an exfoliator as I need it from olive oil and ground rock salt. Great on face, as well as the rest of the body and feet. The oil leaves your skin feeling soft and supple. For my mask, a little plain yoghurt with some honey. My skin looks great and I know what's in my skin care and that it didn't need to be tested on animals.

All of these little changes make a significant overall difference to the amount of money I am consuming! The savings account actually has a small amount sitting in it also (1st time for a while)!

I also need to get cracking on making 2 beautiful wedding keepsake cards for weddings next month! Also lots of birthdays next month so must start making for those!

Happy making and saving!

Martha :)




No comments:

Post a Comment